Thursday, March 8, 2012

How Thrift Stores Have Ruined Me


I have always been a clothes shopper. I love it. I started babysitting when I was 11 years old, and after putting away some for tithing and putting more away in my savings, I would use the rest to buy...you guessed it, clothes. I am not, however, the department store or trendy store shopper (although I like those clothes too) - I am a deal finder. Always have been. I loved the store "Susie's Deals" when I was a teenager - $5 clothing store (what's not to love?). Then I became a hard core Ross shopper. I know some people can't stand those stores - having to search through rack after rack of clothes to find something you like. But I don't mind it. As long as it gets me a cute pair of jeans for $12.99 then I'm happy. I loved outlet stores and clearance racks and consignment stores. Then I became a thrift store shopper....and now I'm ruined. In the past few years I have shopped more and more at thrift stores, partly because we have some great ones around here, partly because my kids are in school and often come home with holes in their pants (and who wants to keep buying brand new pants just so they can get holey again), partly because we just have more people to buy clothes for.....but the biggest reason, I think is because thrift stores have ruined me. I just don't find the same satisfaction shopping at regular stores that I once did. Remember, I'm a deal finder. How can I compete at a discount store like Ross, let alone a department store when I have (on multiple occasions) taken advantage of a "bag sale" at a thrift store and come home with a bag full of 30 items (for all members of my family) - good, clean items - for $3. How can any other store compete with that? And I've found some great things at thrift stores: name brand clothes, jeans that come in size tall, snow pants and suits, super cute shoes, etc. So now if I happen to wander into a Ross and notice a cute shirt on the clearance rack for $5.99 I go into "debate-mode" with myself, "is this really worth it?" WHAT? Most people would snatch it right up, but like I said, thrift stores have ruined me. That's why today I walked out (of a thrift store, mind you) and left behind a Steve Madden pair of adorable animal print open toe heels because they were $9.99 (easily $80 shoes in the store). Perfect condition Steve Madden heels for $9.99 and I said "no" (I'm still kind of kicking myself for that). See - they've ruined me.

At least my bank account doesn't think so....

8 comments:

Robert and Ashley said...

oh my goodness you sound like me! Although I do go out sometimes and buy a shirt or a pair of shorts full price, but not very often, but I am constantly debating if 10 bucks is worth the money or 8 bucks ha. I used to not even think about the price tag until I married a finance man! haha but yes our bank accounts and husbands thank us i'm sure but sometimes it sucks to feel that way.

THE HATHCOCK'S said...

Your husband is a lucky man!! Make sure you tell him I said so!! Ya- you should have bought those shoes and sold them on craigs list or ebay for $30!

The Max Family said...

I buy everything at thrift stores,My kids closet is full of Gape,Old Navy,Gymboree,Ralph Lauren and Nike shoes,etc all from thrift stores.

I have baught purses and shoes for my self 100.00 purses for 4.00 to me you can shop cheep and really weaar nice name brand stuff. It does take time as you have to search everything but heck its so much cheeper and to me its funner.

My last major score was a britex carseat with tags still on it for 10.00(wow someone didnt know its value) Dont have little babaies naymore but listed on Craigs list for 130.00 and sold it with in 5 hours!!made 120.00 profit :) yahoo
Kelly Sims Max

shawna henrie said...

my goodness...this is me. i remember shopping at goodwill in temecula (yes, my husband was an attorney) and loving the deals i would get. my silver spooned kids wore goodwill. yes, they did. and i am proud of it. danes wardrobe as we speak is probably half goodwill/di...and again, its all about the hunt!! keep it up tera...my next idea is to furnish a home completely on goodwill and craigslist...now wouldnt that be fun?

The Max Family said...

Oh Yes Shawna that would be fun I watch a show called pickers and they make some great furnishings out of some ones trash lol :)

CamilleJohnFam said...

I get that.....thriftstores and garage sales have changed my life forever! Glad to see I'm not the only quirkly one!

Jenny said...

I think that's awesome you are a smart shopper! I really want to start going to thrift stores, but I'm intimidated to go with all of t he kids- I'll have to go by myself some Sat.

Misty said...

I feel the same way and you know it. HEY, where were those Steve Madden's ?? Hahaha