Thursday, June 17, 2010

Good Things to Come



I just saw this video and had to share.
I have a book that has this entire talk in it, and I have always loved it. About a year ago, the message spoke to me in a whole new way. Sean was without a job and was trying to learn a new business in CA. I was in Kingman taking care of things there (and this had been going on for a few months). We were a couple of weeks away from all moving to CA to temporarily stay with my family so we could all be back together for the summer. We were on our way home from Southern Utah where we had spent the Memorial Day weekend with Sean's family. In order to beat the horrific Hoover Dam traffic, we went through Laughlin to get home to Kingman. About 25 miles from home our car started to really heat up. We coasted down a hill right into the parking lot of a Maverick Gas Station where it died completely. Now, if you just knew all the other things that added up to this moment..... no work for 6 months, running really low on money, being apart for much of the past 4 months, not knowing what to do with our house in Kingman (considering the market), 2 other times in the past 2 months where one of our cars has stranded us for one reason or another and knowing that this problem with the van was going to be a BIG ONE plus so many uncertainties in our future. It was finally at this point where try as I might I could not keep the tears from coming. I stood there in that parking lot holding a baby with three other young kiddos wandering around me and cried. Seeing his usually-composed wife start to lose it, Sean came over and hugged me at which point we both shared a few tears together in the parking lot of the Maverick Gas Station as we waited for a kind friend from our ward to come and pick us up. I will NEVER forget that moment, those feelings...and it seemed on that day that I could hear the words of Elder Holland speaking directly to me, "Don't you quit! You keep walking. You keep trying. There is help and happiness ahead. Some blessings come soon, some come late and some don't come until heaven. But for those who embrace the gospel of Jesus Christ, they come." And even though just a little over a year has past since that moment for us, I can testify that those blessings and that help has come for us. Despite the challenges we have faced, we have also recognized more blessings than we can count. His promises are SURE and His blessings DO come!

4 comments:

Adams Family said...

Beautiful. Thanks

Jamiecrafts said...

Amen!

ajoy said...

love it. thank you for sharing!

Jamie said...

Thank you for this. A friend in my ward is going through a really tough time now. Neither one of them has had a full time job in well over a year. His unemployment is ending in a week, he's got child support on top of rent and car payments. And if he can't pay child support he won't be able to hold a temple recommend. And they have been working hard to get to the temple to be sealed. I pray to know how to help in anyway I can. They are such faithful members. Thanks for reminding me of this message, maybe it will help.