Thursday, May 1, 2008

GRRRRR!

Sean and I have been renters now for the past 9 years (individually and then together as a couple). We have NEVER felt so taken advantage of as we have with our rental company here. I could name off several incidences that have gotten our blood boiling (all of which we have taken care of calmly and cooperatively)....UNTIL NOW! We just got our security deposit back (well, sort of) - a total of $13 was our check. I went in to ask about some of the charges, but I really didn't want to get into an anger match with the property manager (and I knew it really wouldn't do any good anyway). It's not only about the money - it's the fact that we have been good renters and yet they feel like they can just suck every last penny from us (regardless of how unreasonable it may seem). So, I am taking action. I have researched the AZ Residential Tenant and Landlord Act, and have taken a look into landlord obligations (a couple of which have NOT been complied with). It makes me sad that I have to be so picky, but if that's the way they want to play - bring it on. I have written a good, long, professional letter (with very minimal emotion) which I am sending to the owner of the company. We'll see what happens. This experience has made me so happy to be done with renting.

3 comments:

lani said...

This sounds familiar - seems I was researching tenant laws not too long ago - hope your company plays more fairly than our landlady did. What a mess!!

Jamie said...

Good for you! If you don't take action then they will be able to take advantage of many more people. Hopefully you get somewhere.

Amanda said...

Yeah renting is no fun.. Hopefully you'll get your money back.. Good luck with everything!