Thursday, August 14, 2008

First Day of School



Caelan started Kindergarten today. I dropped her off at 8:30 AM, and I won't be back until 3:30 PM to pick her up (they have all day Kindergarten here in Kingman). She has been so excited this week: picking out a lunch box, finding new school shoes, meeting her teacher, helping me make her lunch last night (she actually had been asking me about making her lunch all afternoon). We met her teacher and had a look at her classroom yesterday afternoon - she was pretty excited! Her actual teacher has 4 weeks of maternity leave (she just had her 4th baby - all of her kids are pretty close to ours...her oldest daughter is also starting Kindergarten), but her substitute teacher also seems really nice and good. She thought the cafeteria and the idea of eating lunch there everyday was pretty neat.
I have to admit, I never thought I would have a difficult time sending my kids to school, especially in Caelan's case, where she is SOOO ready to go, but I definitely had a pit in my stomach as I drove away from the school this morning. It's just so crazy that she is growing up so much. She has been home all day with me since she was born (minus preschool twice a week for a few hours), and now she will be in school for 7 hours five days a week. I know she will be great, but now I know what all the moms are talking about when they say it is hard to "let go."

3 comments:

JR said...

She looks SOOO much like you in this picture Tera!! I can't believe she's so grown up!! Where does the time go?
She'll do great!!!!!

andyandmeg@gmail.com said...

She is so adorable. Abbi only has half day kindergarten, and I miss her, wow with all day! Isn't it funny how they are so ready, I wish I could adjust to new experiences as well :)

shawna henrie said...

she certainly looks like a sorensen-how cute is she?? i actually have kids going back to school tomorrow-i hate it. the end of laziness for me! your blog is great-i love to see how happy and successful you are-and your kids are adorable!