Thursday, April 11, 2013

Easter

Easter was pretty low key for us this year. I had intentions of talking about each day of the last week of the Savior's life every night the week leading up to Easter, but we ended up having something going on every single night that week (crazy). We did have a nice Family Home Evening the Monday before talking about Jesus Christ. Sean performed in a Stake Easter Musical Program on Good Friday, which was very lovely. We colored eggs on Saturday afternoon. Sunday was Fast Sunday, so our Easter Bunny didn't even show up until we were at church (he didn't want to tempt Caelan who was fasting that morning). He hid all the eggs around the house as well as the baskets and also a wrapped gift with a picture of Jesus. We ate chocolate and candy until we wanted to be sick, but at least we got rid of it pretty quickly. We had a nice dinner of ham, asparagus and cheesy potatoes. Austin LOVED the candy, especially the chocolate. He knew exactly what kind of candy he wanted, which happened to be the wrapped chocolates (like Hershey kisses or mini chocolate candy bars, etc). He wouldn't eat jelly beans unless he couldn't see any other chocolate options left in the basket. Funny boy. It was a nice, simple holiday. What a blessing it is to know what we really celebrate on this special day. I got asked to teach the Sharing Time lesson in primary a couple weeks ago and the lesson was on the Savior's Resurrection. At one point they suggest that you invite someone in who has lost a loved one so that they can talk about how the Resurrection brings them peace. I shared my own experience with my Mom and as I bore testimony in that meeting it was again reaffirmed to me that what I was saying was true: that because of Christ's death and resurrection we all will one day be resurrected. And because of his suffering for our sins in Gethsemane we will also have the opportunity to be with all of our loved ones forever if we keep the covenants we make in this life. I know He lives. I am so thankful that He did what I could not do for myself and because of that I can one day return to Him and my Father and be with my family for eternity.

No comments: