Monday, July 18, 2011

A Clean House

I am a pretty clean and organized person. I always have been. My mom used to LOVE leaving me home by myself for any length of time because she knew when she got back the house would be set straight. I get up in the morning and get to my "picking up" routine, and it's kind of hard to me to relax at night if the living room (where I am trying to relax) is covered in toys and empty cups and shoes that children have tossed here and there. So I take 5 minutes and pick up like a mad woman so that then I can sit in that room without each little thing nagging me to put it away. And I'll have to admit - I'm pretty darn fast. Maybe it's just part of me, maybe it's my years and years of cleaning houses for earn money (through high school and college), maybe it's the fact that I know me: I know I like it a certain way and since I don't want to spend half my life cleaning (who does?) I just get right down to business. But even still, when you have 4 children 8 years old and under and a husband it's one of those never-ending things in life. The house ALWAYS needs something. I don't want to be one of those crazy, nagging mothers/wives who constantly need the house to look perfect - I mean, come on, we do live in it, so I have my routines: deep cleaning Monday morning, quick once-over other mornings and then a family pick-up time in the evening (short and fast) plus other little things here and there. It's still a pretty special day when you can say "the whole house is clean." I mean, is it really....ever? Well my friends, I think today is my day. My whole house is clean: vacuumed, swept, bathrooms scrubbed, floors mopped, dusted, picked up, windows washed, etc, etc. We are renting and getting ready to renew our lease, so the property management company just wanted to take a quick look at the inside (completely understandable). We've only lived in a house long enough to have this happen one other time. Both times I knew I was totally over-cleaning: these people were certainly not going to look at the top shelf of my daughters' closet, but still - I made sure the clothes were folded nicely up there. And I was right - a person can get a good idea if you are taking care of the property with about two glances around. And that's mostly what she did. Glanced here and there. Said it looked good and headed out. Kind of a little disappointing. But I'll sit and revel in my clean house - which won't look so clean by this evening, let's just be honest. Maybe I'll send the kids outside to play for the day......Hmmm...and then I can revel while I fold laundry (WAIT - I guess that means I still have something to clean - one of those other never-ending tasks of family life). Oh well - I was close.

3 comments:

THE HATHCOCK'S said...

Love it! Funny how motivated we can get when someone is coming to look at how we live! You are great mom and homemaker Tara!

JR said...

Tera.. how much longer do you have? Aren't you due in September?

Jenny said...

haha, i was just telling erik that i'm never through with the laundry. i love a clean house too. i heard a quote that cleaning a house with kids inside of it is like brushing your teeth while eating oreos ;)