Friday, January 9, 2009

Some People....

So today we ran to Walmart to pick up a few groceries. Megan is 2 years old...and very good at it. She has recently started throwing fits for no good reason at all, and she especially loves to do it when we are in stores or at church or in the car (where there is nothing in the world we can do). Lovely. Well today as we were checking out our food Megan started having a little fit in the cart. We tried to ask her what the problem was, but she just sat there and cried. Sean was holding Nathan, and I was getting everything rung up, and this older woman comes up in the line behind us. She started to ask Megan what was wrong, but Megan just cried. She asked again, and Sean said "she's just tired," to which the lady said, "we could hear her way back in the store." (First of all, she had only been crying for a minute or two by then and although she was vocal she wasn't screaming hysterically). This time I just calmly said, "I know, she's just getting tired." The lady looked at me and said, "well, maybe you could pick her up." The way she looked at me conveyed all her inside thoughts about what unfit parents we were to have a child crying in the grocery store. YIKES!! I don't usually get annoyed by people, but this lady just made me nuts. What kind of lesson would that teach my two year old...have a crying fit about nothing and then Mom will pick you up. Not to mention the fact that our hands were busy at the moment. I just wanted to say, "Lady, maybe you could back off. Do you think I love it that my child is having a fit in this store? No. That's why we are moving quickly to get out. Perhaps you have never had a toddler, and if you have then you have definitely forgotten what it is like." I didn't say any of things, we just finished up our stuff and left. But Man, she really got my blood going (and frankly that's hard to do).

3 comments:

The Max Family said...

Dont you just love these kind of people? yah right you want to just tell them to butt out of your buisness, or slap them!!!
I have had plenty of these moments and so I can relate, most of the time I think oh they are just old and groucy or they must not have any kids because if they did they would say" dont worry I have been in your shoes", or maybe offer to help you in some way to help you along.
Not to many of these people left in the world though :)Who are polite and willing to help out another!!

Sorry for this frustration tera, your an awesome mom :)
Kelly Max
www.maxfamily4.blogspot.com

Jessica said...

It really is hard to make you mad... I know! I have a standing rule just because I like to stay sane and it works right now for us. Samantha is not allowed to go to any store with just me except for target where she gets her $1.25 popcorn and stays quiet the rest of the trip. You are a saint for taking out your four kids. MISS YOU!!

Anonymous said...

I know I'm behind in my blog reading, but my blood was boiling just thinking about it! I can't imagine what it would have been like had I been there. Kudos to you for keeping your mouth shut!