Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Day of Love

I am a fan of Valentine's Day! I know there are a lot of people who have their own feelings about the holiday ("commercialized day forcing people to buy things", etc), but I think any extra excuse to show a little extra love to those we really care about is something I can get behind. Yes, we should definitely be showing love to our sweethearts all days of the year, but this is a fun day to do a little more....and I like it. Plus, it's fun for kids: making and passing out Valentines to friends, having parties, etc. Sean's Dad always did a little something special for the kids on Valentine's Day when he was growing up, so he has carried on that tradition. He gets the girls a single rose and their favorite candy, and this year he got the boys a balloon and their favorite candy. I added a little bundle of Hershey Hugs with a squeezable drink and a little note attached that said, "Hugs and a Squeeze." They were pretty thrilled to wake up and find their treasures of love. Sean got me a bouquet of roses, carnations and lilies plus a bag of peanut M&M's (YUM) and a watermelon with a heart carved in it. I made Sean a homemade Valentine (which turned out pretty cute, I must say) and a deck of cards with 52 reasons why I love him (one written on each card) and got him Key Lime pie and a 12 pack of Vanilla Coke. We don't go too crazy, but we like to do something. Sean had also written on the bathroom mirror and on the windows and mirrors in my car - the kids got a real kick out of that. We made the same Valentine's for all the kids to take to their classmates (they took some time on Wed afternoon to sign their names), and I went to Nathan's Valentine's Day party at preschool that morning. There was a ward adult dance that night, but we never got a babysitter (Sean had been a little sick off and on for the past few days) and so we opted out this time. We ordered Dominoes Pizza and enjoyed an evening in. Fun Day! And of course the girls had some festive heart hair that day.

No comments: