Monday, April 9, 2012

The genius of the beauty of the stars

Is not the stars;

But is the space

That stands behind like black velvet,

Showcasing the stars

Like scattered diamonds.

What beauty:

That each brilliant shard

Must for a moment glow,

Then fade to black,

To become the background-

The beauty-

Of the birth of another star.

(Written by my sister, Charity Brooks, in honor of our mom)



For being at my track meets and cross country meets and awards assemblies and YW activities.
For endless laundry and dishes and dinners.
For being the ultimate taxi driver, and then teaching me to drive so I could be it.
For making modest prom dresses, even when that meant tearing out stitches and re-working patterns until you wanted to pull your hair out.
For shopping trips and lessons on being frugal (they are really paying off).
For long afternoon chats on your bed even during dinner-making time.
For trips to Wendy's for frostys.
For getting your hands dirty in the earth: weeding and gardening (I'm glad I've finally found the same kind of satisfaction in it).
For lots and lots of music: piano lessons, leading the ward choir (and giving me your love for it), being at choir concerts and just generally making music a part of our everyday lives.
For really listening.
For never speaking ill of anyone (ever).
For your pure testimony and bearing that often by the way you lived.
For being generous with your time and talents and love.
For being happy as a Mom (your children could feel it).
For finding the closest friendships within your own home.

Today I will have a cup of diet root beer and make a toast to you - the perfect Mom for me. Happy Day of Ascension! I love you!

4 comments:

Jessica said...

Quietly thought of your mom this week as I celebrated my birthday. She was and is an AMAZING woman. Thanks for sharing her.

The Max Family said...

She was an Amazing mom thank you for sharing her with us :)

This post braught tears to my eyes and many prayers of peace and comfort with you and your family always the years go by but the sadness is still always there to some degree.

She was great and special and touched many lives including mine :)
Kelly Sims Max

THE HATHCOCK'S said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
THE HATHCOCK'S said...

Your mom truly was someone who I never heard say one bad thing about anyone! I know that she is so proud of all of her children! Thanks for this beautiful post about such a special lady! I love her dearly!!