Friday, May 1, 2009

De-Junking


I LOVE to throw stuff away. Seriously, it brings great joy to my heart. I think it stems from living in a fairly small house with 8 other people growing up. We just didn't have enough space to save all sorts of random stuff. When Sean and I got married I brought about 2 boxes of "stuff." We've moved 8 times in the 7 1/2 years we've been married (with another one coming up in the next month or so) which is a little tiring, but also a great chance to de-junk. I'll admit I don't love the packing and cleaning and such that comes with a move, but I love to clean out ALL of my stuff and get rid of things I don't use. Plus, I use my moves as a measuring stick: if I haven't used something since the last time I moved - I get rid of it. I remember when my dad got remarried, and they were moving from their two separate homes into one house. I went down to CA to help, and I was just in "throwing-away" heaven. Man, I was tossing things left and right. I've been doing a bunch of that again, but this time I decided to have a little yard sale before I take all my stuff to the local church thrift store. I've never had a yard sale - EVER (not growing up, not since I've been on my own - NEVER), but I was getting this big accumulation of "stuff" in my garage, and I thought, "why not?" So this morning was my first day (I've noticed that here in Kingman everyone advertises for yard sales for both Friday and Saturdays, so I followed suit). To my surprise we actually made an okay amount of money for a couple hours Friday morning. One of my favorite parts was when I was putting all the stuff back in the garage, and only about half of it remained (YAY for getting rid of stuff). We'll see what tomorrow morning brings. Kind of fun!

6 comments:

Jessica said...

I love it.. cleaning and tossing that is.. I jsut have to do it when my dear sweet pack rat of a hubby is not around. We have had 2 garage sales since moving here and I have learned that just putting it all out there with NO price on it since you are just going to donate it anyway is the best route in getting it sold. Just let people tell you what they want to pay. We ahve made any where from $50-150 and for what things that were going to be dontated anyway:) happy junking! You can come to my house next.

jamie said...

YAY that is always a great feeling when you put back 1/2 as much as you put out in the 1st place, do you want me to take your kids? let me know i can come get them so you dont have to worry about them:)

Janelle said...

that IS the best part of moving! we gave away all of our stuff to local Huntington's Disease rummage sale. it was AWESOME!

Lacey said...

Woohoo!! That's awesome. I love having garage sales! Although, there was this one time when we just had our garage door open (we weren't actually having a sale) and someone stopped by and asked if we were selling anything!

CamilleJohnFam said...

way to go! I need to do that also!

shawna henrie said...

o, i LOVE a garage sale. my kids remember me waking them up early sat mornings so we could go scour murrieta for junk. remember i used to pay you and charity to come clean out all of my "stuff" and sort? you were the BEST at sorting and organizing. hey, when you get to california, i will pay you AGAIN to come sort a MAJOR project, you up for it?? i got LOTS of junk now!!